Retirement

Well it seems that between Jessie burning rubber and the age of the rear axle it has come to the end of its usable life.  We tries replacing the bearing, and it still leaked, so we added a spacer cup to fill it the over sizing.  That worked for a week or so but now there is a horrible rumbling sound coming from the rear end... Jessie assures me that it sill not cause me any problems beyond the annoying sound.  But we do need to replace it with a larger one.  So we are now looking for a 8 or 9in rear axle that would fit, the current original one is a 6in.

There are plenty of axles available for between $100-200 but non that are close by so far!

Posted by Phillip Seaman Monday, June 8, 2015 8:17:00 AM Categories: 1962 Ford Falcon Failures Set-Backs
(c) 2014-2016 Phillip J. Seaman
Rate this Content 0 Votes

Comments

Comments are closed on this post.
  • RSS
  • Subscribe
This is the story behind how I found stripped, rebuilt, tested and drove my first Classic Car.  Some of it might be interesting while other parts just plain boring.  Sorry but that goes with the territory of building and owning a classic car.  A lot of hurry up and wait...
The first stage, mechanical, took exactly a year to the week to get from towing in an empty shell to driving it out onto the road with brakes working.
The second stage on the project took a lot less time.  It only took 4 weeks to get the bodywork and paint completed.  Of course it took me several weeks of hunting to find and get all the bits and pieces together before I booked the time at Diego's shop (Affordable Collision Center).  He promised me a 4 week time span... I made him sign a contract to that effect with a penalty of $100 per day over the 30 day period.

Statistics

  • Entries (18)
  • Comments (0)

 

It is now Sunday, 16th August, 2015

The car goes into Diego's tomorrow morning at 10am.... it will be a long 30 day wait!