Retirement

It took 18 months but I finally got "Betty Anne" to the place where I could get the body fixed and painted.

October 2015

 

Body

I did as little to the body as possible as this is not a concourse or trailer queen car.  Far from it I wanted to keep her original lines and imperfections.  This meant not getting the doors and fender to perfectly align nor to have every dent and ding knocked out.  The Divers door was fixed where it was damaged by a prior owner.  There were a couple of other small rust spots that were fixed also.  Some areas were rubbed out where the paint had oxidized or the paint had faded.  All in all it there was not a lot of body work done to "Betty Anne".

 

Paint

I will repeat this is a drivers car not a concourse or show car, this means it still retained it's original paint, I didn't want to loose that value.  Hence we only painted the drives door, and blended it into the front left fender and rear fender.  I had the paint shop use Q-Tips to touchup small chips and scratches.  Then the final protection layer of clear coat.  All in all only about 20% of the car was actually painted, which means 80% is original paint under the clear coat.

 

Trim

The trim is all original except for the drivers door where I had to replace the stainless steel trim which was missing after prior damage.  Lucky for me most of the trim on the Falcon is stainless steel, consequently there is very little to actually rust.  I did replace the passenger side emblem and name badge that is on the front fender as I found better condition ones.

 

Seals

All the seals on the car will need replacing.  I have the main door, hood, and trunk seals on hand and will replace them next.  Then comes the window felt seals which all need replacing too. 

Posted by Phillip Seaman Wednesday, October 7, 2015 10:38:00 AM Categories: 1962 Ford Falcon Bodywork Original Paint Seals Trim
(c) 2014-2016 Phillip J. Seaman
Rate this Content 0 Votes

Comments

You must sign in to this site to post comments.
Already Registered?
Sign In
Not Yet Registered?
Register
Its easy to register with your Windows Live ID, no new passwords to remember.
  • RSS
  • Subscribe
This is the story behind how I found stripped, rebuilt, tested and drove my first Classic Car.  Some of it might be interesting while other parts just plain boring.  Sorry but that goes with the territory of building and owning a classic car.  A lot of hurry up and wait...
The first stage, mechanical, took exactly a year to the week to get from towing in an empty shell to driving it out onto the road with brakes working.
The second stage on the project took a lot less time.  It only took 4 weeks to get the bodywork and paint completed.  Of course it took me several weeks of hunting to find and get all the bits and pieces together before I booked the time at Diego's shop (Affordable Collision Center).  He promised me a 4 week time span... I made him sign a contract to that effect with a penalty of $100 per day over the 30 day period.

Statistics

  • Entries (18)
  • Comments (0)

 

It is now Sunday, 16th August, 2015

The car goes into Diego's tomorrow morning at 10am.... it will be a long 30 day wait!