Retirement

The long days of testing the car started to grow long but more exciting by the day. Each day I drive the car for a few blocks or a couple of miles I learn more about the handling characteristics. The good the bad and the down right ugly handling!

First was the brakes, needing a new wheel cylinders, which we new would happen. Then a new master cylinder, which we didn't expect. Then a power booster for the brakes, we went from manual to powered brakes in three easy steps... yeah right!   With the power booster we also decided to make it a duel brake system instead of the old fashioned and unreliable single master cylinder system that came with the car.

Then back to the steering system, it was now powered of course with a Mustang II rack installed, but was giving me a very delicate handling experience. The problem was, and still is, the steering wheel itself. The car was designed for manual steering and the 17inch steering wheel gave a lot more leverage than the powered system of today with only 12 or 13inch steering wheels. Solution: I need to find a 13 inch steering wheel that will fit the column.

During all this of course was the problems with the suspension system. One by one we ended up replacing the entire system, first new gas filled shocks all round, then new springs on the front, then new leaf springs on the read. One hell of a good ride now.

There has been an ongoing issue with performance; when driving the power will come on and off in spurts. As though you were hitting the NOS tank. We have tried putting new plugs in, then a new mas air flow sensor. On another drive I wound out that the issue was still alive and bugging me. Back to the drawing boards with this one!

 

It is now March 2014.
Posted by Phillip Seaman Sunday, April 5, 2015 6:40:00 PM Categories: Rack Steering
(c) 2014-2016 Phillip J. Seaman
Rate this Content 0 Votes

Comments

You must sign in to this site to post comments.
Already Registered?
Sign In
Not Yet Registered?
Register
Its easy to register with your Windows Live ID, no new passwords to remember.
  • RSS
  • Subscribe
This is the story behind how I found stripped, rebuilt, tested and drove my first Classic Car.  Some of it might be interesting while other parts just plain boring.  Sorry but that goes with the territory of building and owning a classic car.  A lot of hurry up and wait...
The first stage, mechanical, took exactly a year to the week to get from towing in an empty shell to driving it out onto the road with brakes working.
The second stage on the project took a lot less time.  It only took 4 weeks to get the bodywork and paint completed.  Of course it took me several weeks of hunting to find and get all the bits and pieces together before I booked the time at Diego's shop (Affordable Collision Center).  He promised me a 4 week time span... I made him sign a contract to that effect with a penalty of $100 per day over the 30 day period.

Statistics

  • Entries (18)
  • Comments (0)

Related Posts

 

It is now Sunday, 16th August, 2015

The car goes into Diego's tomorrow morning at 10am.... it will be a long 30 day wait!