Retirement

Now as we took a new step forward we ended up taking several steps backwards.  This was the paten and it happened at every turn.  But I am getting ahead of myself. 

After the steering had been re-designed several times Jessie had it the way he liked it.  Oh, and that was only the chassis portion of the steering, now we had to connect the rack to the steering wheel!  That had to be totally fabricated, cut and welded from one piece or another all the parts were newly ordered and installed, failed, returned, a slightly different part ordered and installed, failed then returned.  This went of for days.  It actually took three different racks before Jessie got one to fit.  First was a Honda rack, then a Chevy, he decided to put in the same rack, a series II Mustang rack, and the same model he had in his Falcon drag car.  Then we found out that the one they sent was bad and it had to be taken out and a new one installed.  The next one barely made it out of the box before a fault was found with it and again returned.  The next one worked, for a while, after a few weeks of working on other parts of the project and I was test driving the car I noticed a small fluid leak from the rack connectors to the power fluid pump hoses.

Back to the steering wheel knuckle joint system.   Not a pretty sight but it works and it is functional.  But it took another 2 or 3 weeks to get right. 

Posted by Phillip Seaman Monday, April 6, 2015 12:03:00 PM Categories: Failures Mechanic Rack Steering
(c) 2014-2016 Phillip J. Seaman
Rate this Content 0 Votes

Comments

Comments are closed on this post.
  • RSS
  • Subscribe
This is the story behind how I found stripped, rebuilt, tested and drove my first Classic Car.  Some of it might be interesting while other parts just plain boring.  Sorry but that goes with the territory of building and owning a classic car.  A lot of hurry up and wait...
The first stage, mechanical, took exactly a year to the week to get from towing in an empty shell to driving it out onto the road with brakes working.
The second stage on the project took a lot less time.  It only took 4 weeks to get the bodywork and paint completed.  Of course it took me several weeks of hunting to find and get all the bits and pieces together before I booked the time at Diego's shop (Affordable Collision Center).  He promised me a 4 week time span... I made him sign a contract to that effect with a penalty of $100 per day over the 30 day period.

Statistics

  • Entries (18)
  • Comments (0)

 

It is now Sunday, 16th August, 2015

The car goes into Diego's tomorrow morning at 10am.... it will be a long 30 day wait!