Mouse Pad came with a dodger but it was old and leaked when it rained for long periods of time.  It was definitely time to get a new dodger made.   I had given it a lot of thought.  It needed to be higher.  Seeing as we were going to have this as our main protection from the elements of mother nature it needed to be strong and I didn't want to have to hold my head down any more.   Therefore the higher modification.  I called the same company that had done a rather good job on the interior upholstery.  They visited several time with ideas and to measure.  I took their advice to use a different material for the windows.   In the past, most sail boats have used a soft supple plastic that turns yellow after a couple of years.  It also scratches easily.  I took their advice to put a heavier non-flexible plastic, similar to that used on power boat fly bridges.

I had a few other design features that I wanted incorporated.   It had to be high enough for me to stand up under without stooping.  That turned out to be a great feature.  It had to have the ability to roll the roof section up from the aft roller to the forward (window) roller.  I wanted the usual removable side panels.   But because of the position of the forward jib winches, the side windows would prohibit the use of them, I also needed to have smaller removable panels to facilitate the use of these winches.

I had 12" extensions welded onto the vertical bars of the dodger frame to facilitate the height requirements.  The rest of the problems were the canvas makers.  They came through.



Created by the Skipper of Mouse Pad.
Copyright © 1995-2005  All rights reserved.
Revised: 19 September, 2005 .